Materials Science & Engineering
Post-doc Fellowship, N.S.F. IRFP University Padova, 2003-05
Ph.D. Materials, Pennsylvania State University, 2003
M.S. Geosciences, Pennsylvania State University, 2000
B.S. Geological Sciences, Michigan State University, 1998
Phone: (607) 871-2446
Location: Hall of Glass Science, Room B8
Our research interests are based primarily in the areas of multi-functional thin films (in particular solgel based), glass surfaces and corrosion, and advanced surface and materials characterization.
Current and Recent Projects
- Processing, design, and applications of thin films and nanostructured materials, with focus on how nanoscale material structure and properties can be tailored to produce multifunctional, “smart” materials.
- Development of new, and improvement of existing, applications of thin films, glass, and glass coatings in advanced material systems.
- Use of advanced surface science techniques in understanding material surfaces, their interfaces with coatings, and their behavior with corrosion in a variety of environments.
Select Publications and Patents
Akgun B.A., Durucan C., Mellott N.P (2011) Effect of Silver Incorporation on Crystallization and Microstructural Properties of Sol-Gel Derived Titania Thin Films on Glass; Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology; 58, 277-289.
Mellott N.P., Durucan C., Pantano C.G., Guglielmi M. (2006) Commercial and Laboratory Prepared Titanium Dioxide Thin Films for Self-Cleaning Glasses: Photocatalytic Performance and Chemical Durability, Thin Solid Films v502, p112-120.
Mellott N.P., Brantley S.L., Hamilton J.P., and Pantano C.G. (2001) Evaluation of Various Surface Preparation Methods for Glass, Surface and Interface Analysis,v31, n5, p362-368.
- The American Chemical Society
- The American Ceramics Society
- The Materials Research Society
- International Sol-Gel Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Science